Monday, October 25, 2010

Here Fishy Fishy Fishy!

I have been crafting and sewing quite a bit lately. It's been a lot more fun making gifts for people. I love finding creative tutorials for fun toys I can make for my kids. It's very easy to find things to make for little girls. Most of my close friends have little boys. As I was searching for little boy craft projects I came across this Fishing Game on From an Igloo. It is totally adorable. One of my friends little boys is having a birthday this week and I decided this would be his gift.

Here is my version of the Fishing Game.  


This is an easy project and can be made with left over scrap fabric. My problem was, I didn't have enough scrap fabric that wasn't girly. I only had a few neutral colors. My favorite thrift store was having 75% off day last weekend, so I bought some boy shirts and onesies and used those for my fabric. I think total it only cost about $2.00 for the fabric. The washers were also very cheap, the box was $1.50 at Wal-Mart. I used buttons from my own collection of spares. I filled them with poly fill and did a slip stitch to close them on the bottom.

The tutorial showed disk magnets with a hole drilled in to hang from the yarn on the fishing pole. Adam tried this, and broke the drill bit, so I made a small fabric pouch to put the magnet in.

The magnets were also inexpensive, $1.50 for 6 of them. Although it takes the time to make, it's a very inexpensive gift. I made this entire gift for about $10.00. Handmade gifts are always more special than store bought.



I made this "tackle box" container to hold the fishies, and added the little boys name with foam letter stickers. This box was $2.50 at Wal-Mart and the 10 little fishies fit perfectly inside.


Here is Emily being the model for our gift. She's all set to fish.

Here we are in action. The washers sewn to the fishies nose, connect perfectly to the magnets.

Emily and Julia really love this game. I will be making one for them this week. My older girls even love the game. I think this is going to be my new favorite gift for little ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment